Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Greater Surbiton: Marko Attila Hoare

Thanks to Daniel at Srebrenica Genocide Blog, I just discovered this blog by Marko Attila Hoare:

Greater Surbiton

I have quoted from articles by Hoare before, and I have at least a couple of his three books on my "short list." Many of the entries have also appeared as articles in other places, including Bosnia Institute.

I have a lot in common with Hoare; I am also "of the Left"; for me as well, the war in Bosnia was a turning point in my political affiliations. As the war progressed, I became more and more convinced that Western military intervention was both necessary and justified. Yet only a few years earlier, I had opposed the Gulf War because opposing US military intervention in foreign countries was what people like did, right? Yet there it was, the very real possibility that the use of US military force overseas might be the proper and just option. I was forced to concede that the Left had utterly failed to recognize the true nature of ethnoreligious fascism in the former Yugoslavia.

While I do identify with Hoare, I in no way claim to be as accomplished as he is. Besides his three published books, his blog provides links to many of his previously published online articles. I am now catching up on his blog, and hope to have more to say about his work once I have read up. And now I will move his books to the top of that "short list."

No comments: