Wednesday, March 04, 2009

"Americans For Bosnia" Turns Three Years Old Today

I'm not averse to patting myself on the back, now am I?

In some ways, it's hard to believe that I started this blog three years ago; I really had no idea what I was going to do with it or what point of view or agenda I would promote, other than a vague desire to be involved somehow with Bosnia and its cause. Over the first few months, I found that reviewing books from the vantage point of an informed, interested, but non-specialized general reader seems to be my forte in this regard. I may not be the guy who can best interpret the constitutional ramifications of Dodik's latest statements, but I do know how to approach the lies and deceptions of a Diana Johnstone from a casually-informed, non-academic standing.

I will continue to make that the main focus of this blog since there are many other people out there who have more expertise in the region, more personal/professional involvement, and there are others who do a much more thorough and timely job of following and commenting on news from the region. I will also continue to pass along any information I find timely or relevant, and any information, statements, or links which other people or organizations bring to my attention. And I will most certainly continue to use whatever little visibility I have to promote the work of other bloggers and writers who are fighting the good fight in or on behalf of southeast Europe.

It's been a pleasure to get to know the work of other concerned world citizens, and it's been an honor to get to know some of you through your work and by email. It has been heartening to know that I was not alone when I first reached out to fellow Western liberals and leftists, hoping to find that others shared my belief that something important and even fundamental to our way of life in the secular, democratic West was at stake in Bosnia. It has been humbling to see how passionate, involved, and informed so many of you are. Thank you to each and every person who has ever read this blog with appreciation or interest, commented on it, engaged me in conversation and debate, or simply taken the time to consider one of my posts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Kirk ! Congratulations on keeping an excellent blog going for three years !

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I think we readers are the ones who should thank you for keeping this blog and for the support you give you give to other bloggers like myself. It's really good to feel that there is a community of values...

Anonymous said...

Well done, Kirk and many thanks. It's nice to think that over those three years you've (and we've) been able to leave the Diana Johnstone school of pernicious nonsense behind and move on to much more interesting and useful material like your current review of Branka Magas.

Anonymous said...

I am very much please to have found your inspiring blog, all the best in the future, sincerely.

Anonymous said...

Happy 3rd Birthday Kirk!
Americans for Bosnia is one of the best blogs around. I have learned so much just by reading your book reviews. I feel inspired every time I visit this blog. Absolutely awesome work!

Anonymous said...

Kirk, take a look:

http://jasmin-morehard.blogspot.com/2009/03/americans-for-bosnia.html

Katja R. said...

Sretan Vam Rodjendan!